Humidity, cold, flu and other risk factors that compromise the health of our seniors come with winter. One of the toughest times of the year for senior citizens how do we help them to pass it without problems?
SENIORS AND WINTER
When the cold is installed in the body affects its operation. Then, it becomes more prone to the appearance of disorders and diseases. As we all know, the cold affects us all, but the elderly are one of the most vulnerable groups in our society. Therefore, during the winter season, the elderly must take special care and caution to avoid getting sick during these cold months. A simple cold or the flu can be very harmful and costly to recover for an older person; it can even lead to pneumonia, pneumonia or other more serious illnesses. Look for Heavenly Care Home Health.
HOW TO PREVENT THE FLU?
The flu in an elderly person, with few defenses or with compromised health, can become very serious. Therefore, we must take precautions to prevent the elderly from getting sick. The first step is to vaccinate the major against the flu. This vaccine reduces up to 75% its appearance and reduces the chances of hospitalization by 70%. We must bear in mind that the risk of contagion of influenza during the winter is greater. Therefore, it is not advisable to stay indoors or with poor ventilation and many people. In addition, we must take special care with household cleaning and personal hygiene. It is advisable to wash your hands at least 3 times a day, before touching any food. Get to Heavenly Care Home Health.
Another way to avoid diseases during the winter is to lead a healthy life and a good diet that helps to increase the defenses. The components that cannot be missing in the diet of our elders are fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin C and various proteins, but low in fat and with the necessary caloric intake. Also, for the body to warm up, it is advisable to consume hot foods such as soup or a glass of warm milk. Finally, during the winter season, the thirst decreases considerably, but our body still needs the same hydration to prevent drying the skin, appear hives … Therefore, it is very important to stay hydrated, we must drink at least 2 liters of water a day and it is advisable to put moisturizing cream on the skin, especially on the hands.
HOW TO PREVENT THE COLD?
A badly cured catarrh can turn into bronchitis and lead to other more serious diseases such as pneumonia. This usually happens to the elderly. Therefore, we must take certain precautions to prevent the elderly from getting cold. The first and most important step, before going outside, shelters the older one! It is very important to avoid cooling the body, mainly the feet, hands, and head. When you notice the least symptom of a cold in your eldest, try to inhale eucalyptus vapors to help you breathe and decongest mucus. Do you notice that the cold already affects your general condition? Make him do a lot of rest and drink a lot of liquid, sweat also helps. Also prepare a diet based on fruit, vegetables, and fish.
The second step is to ventilate the whole house well; open the windows about 15 minutes in the morning for air to enter. At night it is also advisable if the environment is overloaded. The third step, in case of the symptoms increase, takes it to the doctor to help your health improve with some medication or drug.
GENERAL ADVICE FOR ELDERLY CARE IN WINTER
- A daily walk is still very important to keep our elders active, though, always well wrapped. This will make them breathe fresh air and help them keep their joints and muscles active.
- When bad weather does not give up physical exercise, this can also be done indoors. Housework helps you stay active.
- The tissues are the best option to prevent accumulation of gérmenes.También is desirable to mouth when coughing or sneezing and clogged wash their hands frequently.
- Keep the house ventilated and at a suitable temperature, above 21 ºC.
- Use warm clothes, both inside and outside. This is a good way to avoid the loss of body heat and to protect the elderly from the cold.
- Avoid contact with the elderly person who is already sick, to avoid the high risk of infection.
- Be very careful with where they are and what surrounds the stoves and radiators of the home. Remember that they can cause fires and there is a risk of burns if we touch them when they are in operation.
- Do not let the older one isolate . Give him all the company he deserves. Loneliness for a long time can cause physical and mental health problems.
- Pay close attention that the elder does not suffer any fall. Wear proper footwear and never leave it alone.
- Control the feeding of the elderly and prepare a diet suitable for the time. It also controls that you drink at least 2 liters of water daily.
Heavenly Care Home Health has the best price: our services know that he will pay exclusively for the work done. Oddly enough, this market is full of false hopes or rates that are inflated with services that were never offered. Heavenly Care Home Health wants to help you and give you our attention. We put our professionalism at your fingertips and we offer you a quality service at a real economic price, because Heavenly Care Home Health is concerned about your health and that of yours. Call us at and ask for your quote without obligation!
At Heavenly Care Home Health, we want to help you take care of your loved ones. We put at your disposal all our home assistance services. With us, you will find the best professionals to take care of your elders with love, passion, and empathy. Contract our services wherever and whenever you want. Find!